Friday, October 31, 2008

A mask is not a costume!

Kids are really ~not~ trying this year. At least in my neighborhood. But then again, I do live in the ghetto, so maybe their parents could only afford the mask.

When teenagers come to the door without a costume and a bag asking for candy, I'll give them candy. But first ... I make them do a human trick to make up for the lack of trying. I know the trick part of trick or treat means if I don't treat them, they can trick me. But I'm turning it around and making them do a trick for me.

When I first tell them the deal, they look at me like I'm kidding. I'm not. Some do something funny like burp and say the alphabet. Or turn their eyelids inside out. Some just look at me incredulously and just stand there. I say to them "can't you do anything??" And they'll do something stupid like lift up one foot and jump up and down and spin in a circle.

It's so funny and so worth it. I actually wish more teenagers came.

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

That's funny! My sister (Sr. in HS) went out with a bunch of friends trick or treating. I'd have loved to see the look on her face if you'd asked for a trick. Of course she's a goof ball and would have been glad to do something. :)