Friday, October 29, 2010

My biggest playground pet peeve.

It freaking bugs the hell out of me when little kids climb up the slide the wrong way. My kids slide down the thing and end up running into a kid who is climbing up. And my kid starts crying and the other parent says and does nothing about it. It's simple playground etiquette.

I know I am probably just overly sensitive about it. But it's hard to teach your kids the right way to play (wait for your turn, use the equipment the right way, etc.) when other kids are playing anyway they want to.

What do you do when you run into children doing the wrong thing in a public place? Do you correct the child in a nice way? Do you talk to the parent? Or do you simply just ignore it?

When a kid is climbing up the slide when my kids are trying to come down, I say something like "oh hunny, please don't climb up the slide right now, my children are coming down and I don't want you to get hurt" and they usually comply. I would never correct another person's child though.
Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

10 comments:

The Captain's Wife said...

I stop the kid, and tell them that "the rules are to go down the slide, and up the ladder. Thank you, now go up the ladder."

fuentes said...

I tell my daughter she has to wait because someone is on the slide. I do not let her climb up the slide and having other kids do it bugs me because it makes it harder for me to discourage her. But I let her run around with no shoes and I know a lot of parents are not ok with that and seeing my kid with no shoes makes their kids want to follow so I guess it's even.

Anonymous said...

I'm a teacher, so I tell other people's kids what to do on a daily basis. I have no problem correctly others' children.

Shannon said...

This is also a huge pet peeve for us. I would also just ask that they let my child down so no one gets hurt.

Unfortunately now my children have started climbing up because they see every other child doing it. We have a playhouse in the back yard and would continually tell them not to climb up the slide. We finally gave up because they have continued to do it. I guess it's trying to pick your battles.

If we're at the playground I would definitely make sure they weren't climbing up the slide if there were children wanting to slide down. They seem to climb up the slide mostly at home.

MrsSpock said...

I do the same thing you do. I don't allow my son to play in a rude manner, but other parents can be nuts about you correcting their kids, so I use the "I don;t want you to get hurt" angle.

kate said...

i have no compunctions about correcting another person's child. i expect my kids to follow the rules, & my theory is-- if you aren't going to parent your child, then don't get upset when i step in. i do try to be polite tho...

Anonymous said...

omg, i totally agree with you on this! one time, this summer, we were at a little playground and a kid -- maybe 4 years old -- was climbing up the slide and my kid (under 2) was waiting to slide down the right way. the older kid's mother was right there. the kid said to me, brightly, "i can climb all the way up!" and i said, "that's pretty cool, but it's not polite to climb up the slide when kids are waiting to slide down." then i gave the mom a look and she glared back at me and i didn't care. if she parented her children, i wouldn't have to!

Robin said...

I'm a teacher, too, and I feel the need to correct other people's children in public but I don't. If I'm at school, even if they aren't in my class, I'll correct them. But in public, even if I feel the urge, I resist if their parents are close by.

That slide thing is super annoying though.

Jennifer said...

I have mine wait to go down and usually tell the kid to be careful. My DD loves to climb the slide. At home is ok, but not at the park especially if other kids are coming down.

I try not to correct other's kids in public, but I'm a teacher it comes out.

Morgan Owens said...

This SAME thing happened to me this weekend, Mason came down the slide and kicked the crap out of a kid who was coming up then the mom looked at me like ~I~ I was crazy for letting Mason slide while her son was crawling up. sorry lady, I wasn't expecting him to crawl up!