Thursday, October 8, 2009

I forgot about this.

Obviously all you out there with little babies have already gone through this, since Karl is so "behind" in milestones ~wink~, but I'm just now dealing with this again and I completely forgot about it. I went through it with both girls and now it's Karl's turn.

It's when they learn to stand up, but have NO IDEA how to sit back down.

My kids have all been good crib sleepers. There's been exceptions: I had a hard time transitioning Ella from swing to crib for daytime naps; Allison woke up every night 3-11 times until the night of her 2nd birthday; Karl cries when I put him down when I could just put the girls in their crib when it was time for bed, even if they weren't ready to go down, and they'd just go to sleep. But all in all, I'd say they were (and are) all awesome.

When they learned to pull themselves to the standing position, they would do it a lot in their cribs. They'd be tired and needing sleep, but standing was such a great new thing that they would immediately stand up. Then they'd realize they had no clue how to get back down. The bending of the legs to sit down was (and is) always a mystery. So there I am, hearing Karl cry cause he's standing, and I have to go back in the room to lay him down, only to have him stand up again seconds later.

I don't know any other solution than to continue to go back in the room and lay him down until he stays down. Is there anything else to do?

11 comments:

CanadianMama said...

I'm not sure that Chicken ever did this (that I can remember). He actually did hit his milestones late (from about 4 months plus that is). He hit them on time but on the later end of the scale so maybe by the time he actually figured this out it was easier for him? Or maybe I just don't remember because my brain doesn't work so well anymore?
Sorry, totally a waste of an answer, maybe someone will have something better for you?

mommybird said...

I totally forgot about that one too. Layla's not quite there yet, but my other kids did it too. I did what you are doing, I'd just help them sit back down or lay them down until they finally got it. I'm not sure there is another way to do it.

areyoukiddingme said...

Practice when he's awake with the sitting down - drop him on a pillow or something. My daughter was a big fan of the standing up and crying...and even when she knew how to get herself back down, she wouldn't. I would put her back down just to pat her back and calm her down. We didn't have too many episodes.

Hollie said...

I am dealing with the same thing. Boo sometimes can sit back down well, and sometimes he falls, and sometimes he screams until I come and pick him up. I don't like to let him cry, so I vote for picking up baby or laying him down.

Kristin said...

Don't actually pick him up or lay him straight down. Gently detach his hands from the sides of the crib and then help him sit down. Keep doing this during the next few days and he will quickly grasp the idea of sitting down after standing up.

Carrie said...

Strap him to the mattress.

Kidding! Kidding!

Though I haven't been through this yet, I was going to say what Kristen said. Show him how it's done until he catches on.

Lisa said...

I agree with Kristin. And practicing when awake will probably help speed things along.

The boys loved to stand in their playroom and rarely did it in their cribs (I think). I only remember going in a few times to help them lay back down. I think they just got so tired that they passed out and fell on their own. ;)

jenn said...

Obviously not chiming in with my own experience (yet!) but I like the last few- not actually laying him down but helping him do it himself- I'll have to remember this post in a few months & come back for ideas!

Christina said...

Poor thing! I had no idea babies did that!

Jennifer said...

Abby did that too! I'd like to say I just went in an laid her down, but I'm pretty sure I let her fall asleep with me and then put her in her crib...asleep. Of course that was another thing that we had to "break" her of.

chicklet said...

I would've never ever thought of this in a million years (that they wouldn't learn both). Dammit.