Friday, September 11, 2009

Rollin', Rollin', Rollin' (part 2)

My immobile baby boy has spontaneously found he doesn't need to ~crawl~ to get somewhere, he just needs to ROLL! Heck, crawling is for sissies!

Heh. Over the past 6+ years (~gasp~!) on the ttc/preg/parenting boards and blogs, I have heard the stories of many babies who will roll to get places, but my girls never did it. They both crawled by/at 8 months and walked by 12 months. But Karl, oh my dear little karl, wanted to show me how the old adage "every baby is different", still holds true.

He is also starting a bit of the army crawl, but can't make it more than just a few inches until he gets frustrated and simply rolls to where he wants get. He can, however, spin on his belly in full circles.

I'm getting a bit sad on him growing up. I was carrying him this morning and realized that he is freaking HEAVY. Per the home scale, he's 18.5 lbs!!! Woot!

(during the weigh-in, it hit me just how much extra weight we moms gain really is. I gained 50 lbs with the each girl and what? Jeez, I can't remember now. 25-30 pounds I think. Well, my gosh. That's ~a lot~ of weight. I can't believe that I had a few "karls" in extra pounds on me. In fact, with the girls, I had an Allison ~and~ a karl in extra fat/fluids on me! Wow. Really puts extra weight in perspective.)

Anywho, back to what I was saying. Karl is growing up. He turned 8 months old yesterday. And just for my own records (will be boring for anyone else to read), here is a little list of things he does right now and has been doing ...

~ Rolls to get places.
~ Army crawls a few inches.
~ Spins on his belly.
~ Says the constanants dddaaadddaaadddaa and maaammaammaa (but not saying any of those actual words) and he "sings" to himself.
~ Puts his arms up to be picked up.
~ He's starting to want mommy over anyone else. He used to put his arms out for anyone, but if I am holding him, he sometimes won't want to go to someone else, actually holding onto me tighter. I'm sure this is due to me being a SAHM and having me most of the time as his sole caretaker.
~ Graduated to the big bathtub using his bath ring. He's been using it for awhile, but I can simply sit in the bathroom now without holding him at all.
~ Will NOT lay still for diaper changes.
~ Pulls himself up to his knees in his crib. Has not pulled himself up to his feet yet on any stationary object (but will do so holding onto mommy or daddy)
~ Eats biter biscuits, wagon wheels and yogurt melts. Starting to make his food chunkier too. LOVES carrots, sweet potatoes, squash and all fruits. He also his enjoying his mesh feeder, cantaloupe and grapes are among his favorite foods to chew on.
~ Sleeps 11-12 hours straight at night still. 7:30p-7a seems to be his most common pattern. Will sometimes wake up early (5-6a) to nurse, but he'll go right back down.
~ As like his sisters, he also goes to bed very easily (knock on wood) in his crib. When it's bedtime, I can simply lay him down in his crib, wide awake. He'll cry sometimes, but it doesn't last more than a few minutes.
~ Loves his excersaucer, jumper and walker. He can MOVE in the walker!

8 comments:

Sarah said...

Wow, Karl is doing awesome! I am so jealous the he sleeps that long at night. Wow!!!

Andrew is like your Allie when it comes to sleeping at night (or at least how she used to be). ;)

jenn said...

go Karl!!! I am also jealous of how good a sleeper he is & I consider myself lucky with Caiden.

She also will not hold still for diaper changes so I feel ya on that one. Oh- & my home scale today says she's hit 20 lbs!

Jenera said...

He's getting so big! Sam doesn't roll much anymore but he's army crawling all over. And finally pulling himself up a bit. It's so funny to me when babies try new things and they get so pissed off!

Robin said...

Yay Karl! Big boy!

Kate said...

12 hrs at night... sigh... i'm so jealous!
seems like he's getting big so fast. & i love the baby mohawk. my dudes are still mostly bald :)

Tasha Faiella said...

Diaper changes- SUCK!!! I call it and bear roll.. It's awful to change a diaper these days. Happy to hear Karl is doing so well, and sleeping like a champ. Props to you - for BF three babies! You are my hero. I slacked in that department.. BF twins?? Umm.. No. I admire you for that. =)

Lisa said...

What a big boy!

Heather said...

Wow! Go Karl!

Now I really feel like my 15 lb, 15 week boy is huge! He is starting to outgrow his 3-6 month clothes already while his twin brother is just starting in 3-6 month clothes!!!